Vertical Sysadmin can teach you to use all of vi's features.

You are going to fly in vi.

Email hello@verticalsysadmin.com now to sign up.

Power Editing with Vim

Length: 1/2 day

Description: Most people use about 10% of vi's capabilities. Learn the other 90% and increase your speed and enjoyment in text editing.

Attendees must bring a laptop with Vim on it for in-class exercises.

Who should attend: No prior experience is required but 20 year veterans of vi have come out raving how much they learned.

Take back to work: Increased ability to use the vi editors.

Topics include:

Student Feedback


Thanks for the vi tips. In the last couple of days I have been making heavy use of macros and last night I was using ctrl-x and ctrl-a to increase and decrease numbers, combined in a macro I was able to auto-write a fair amount of [code]. :) Definitely has saved me at least a few hours in the last couple days.
Nick Anderson, Systems Administrator, Motorola Mobility

It was like knowing how to use a towel for your entire life and then finding out all the amazing uses there is for it outside of being something to dry your hands with!
Anonymized feedback, Cascadia IT Conference.

The class was quite useful, there were functions that I had not learned on my own yet that I will be using in the future to speed through my VI work.
Addison Pan, Software Developer

It was a really good presentation, well organized and delivered at a nice pace, with lots of real-life examples and plenty of time for questions and answers at every step. I've been using vi and vim for 18 years and I came away having learned a LOT of new and very valuable things.
Richard L. Baumann, MBA, MPH, MS / Senior Manager, Data Systems and Programming.

I've long avoided vi(m) because it always seemed like too many shortcut sequences to commit to memory. ... After tonight's lecture, I have a renewed appreciation and desire to finally tackle vim.
David Oswald, Freelance Programmer

Knowing very little about Linux I found this presentation to be very useful and interesting. I think this was a great starting point. I really liked the in-depth explanations and history, this really helped me put everything into context.
Mycah Mason, Network Analyst

There were a lot of great new tricks and possibilities I learned during the session. ... I'm very inspired to further master vi.
Darren S., Linux Consultant at The Linux Foundation

Good pace in class, hands on reinforcement of vi commands during class, can grow with this for months, nice work on instruction!
Matt Massie, President/CEO at Custom-BuiltPCs.com

Subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed of new trainings and publications

About Us

Vertical Sysadmin increases competence of professionals supporting the IT fabric of modern civilization so that society lasts! We specialize in delivering effective training on excellent technologies.

Would you like to improve efficiency, productivity and morale of your sysadmin staff? Yes!

The balance between theoretical and practical knowledge is just perfect. No bullshit.

– Bernard Brandl, Altran

Very personal approach to teaching. We are bored to death with PowerPoint slides. Most of the class was hands on.

– Prakash Rudraraju, Salesforce

Thank you for such a great class. Been to lots of technical training and you are the best instructor I've had.

– Thomas Nicholson, Ntrepid Corproration

We Are

  • Web Ops Specialists

  • Senior Sysadmins

  • Fans of Efficiency

We Care

  • Professionalism

  • Honesty

  • Generosity

We Love

  • Participating in sysadmin conferences

  • Helping sysadmins work faster and better

  • Giving back to the community