Power Editing with Vim
Length: 1/2 day
Description: Most people use about 10% of vi's capabilities. Learn the other 90% and increase your speed and enjoyment in text editing.
Attendees must bring a laptop with Vim on it for in-class exercises.
Who should attend: No prior experience is required
but 20 year veterans of
vi have come out raving how much
Take back to work: Increased ability to use the
- History, background and design principles of
- All the
- Many text alteration commands
vicommand language syntax
- Setting options
- Recovering lost lines and files
- Features for editing programs: auto-indentation, shifting lines, show match, sections
- Filtering portions of the buffer with !
- Macros and buffers
- Mapping commands and abbreviations
- File manipulation commands (including saving partial files and editing multiple files)
- Using tags
- Searching and replacing